Ancestry24 Careers24 Entertainment Fin24 Food24 Health24 Kalahari.net Mobile News24 Property24 Weather24 Wheels24 Women24 Sport24
Answerit

Resolved Question

I am A1 Neg. blood group - is this a rare blood type?

What's the 1 for? 67 mths ago

Best Answer

No. 46% of the population has group A blood. Of the twenty subtypes of group A, the commonest two (99%) are A1(80%) and A2(19%). Thus A1 occurs in 36,8% of the population. A1 negative occurs in 16% of the 36,8%. This means that 5,9% of the population has A1 negative blood. You would however be able to receive blood from group O- and group A-.

Source: myself

67 mths ago

Answers -

There are a dozen subtypes of A. Subtypes A1 and A2 are the most prevalent in the United States and Europe (constituting 99% of type A). However, there are other prevalent subtypes in Scandinavia (A-finn) and Africa (A-bantu and A-intermediate, which is intermediate between A1 and A2). In addition there are: A3, A-x, A-m, A-end, A-el, A-lae, and Australian A). Your ancestors might be one of these of these subgroups!

Source: http://www.biotype.net/diets/bloodtypes.htm

67 mths ago

No its not rare - the 1 is just a subgroup of the type A blood you are - Blood typing is a little more complex than just ABO and subgroups are used in blood matching to determine the best compatibility should you need a match .

67 mths ago

The A1 part is not rare, but only 16% of the population is Rhesus negative. So that is the rare part!

67 mths ago

A1 not rare, A1 equals approximately 80% of the entire A blood type population, and A2 makes up the remaining 20%, under current data.A1 red blood cells ( or 'erythrocytes') have about one million A antigens per cell. A2 red cells have only 250,000 A antigens per cell, or one-fourth the amount that A1 cells have. The 'A' antigen on A1 and A2 subgroup blood cells is named 'Type 2 A' antigen; however, A1 subgroup blood cells also have two additional forms of antigen as well, 'Type 3 A' and 'Type 4 A', neither of which appear on A2 subgroup blood cells.

Source: http://www.owenfoundation.com/Health_Science/Blood_Group_A_Subtypes.html

67 mths ago

No, not rare. Apparently mine is one of the rarest: B+ (or was that B-?) I can never remember!

67 mths ago

Answer more Questions in General - Health

Browse more Questions in General - Health

Vote for more Answers in General - Health