Ancestry24 Careers24 Entertainment Fin24 Food24 Health24 Kalahari.net Mobile News24 Property24 Weather24 Wheels24 Women24 Sport24
Answerit

Resolved Question

Is it possible to overdose on vitamin tablets?

I take three kinds of vitamin supplements a day. Is this too much or too little. 64 mths ago

Best Answer

There are certain vitamins that you can overdose on because your body stores them i.e iron.Some vitamins the excess gets "peed"out.It doesnt sound like you are overdosing.A very good book to get is "Patrick Holfords nutrition bible".He discusses all the vitamins in the book and what you should take and quantities etc.

64 mths ago

Answers -

Yip it is. Some vitamins are water soluble like Vit C so that is ok but other are not. Do a web check.

64 mths ago

Yes you can "overdose" on vitamin supplements, liver damage and headaches are just some of the effects of an overdose

64 mths ago

If all is exactly the same, yes, with different types, no. During winter time I'm taking up to 7 different vitamins, multi-; Vit C, garlic, Iron, etc.

64 mths ago

Yes, if they contain Iron. An overdose of Iron can cause death of small children.

64 mths ago

Yes you can. best to check with your doctor on the quantity you should have.

64 mths ago

Yes Woofie , you can overdose on vitamins - hypervitaminosis usually occurs more with fat-soluble vitamins, which remain more time in the body and are harder to be excreted than water soluble vitamins.An excess of vitamin D causes abnormally high blood concentrations of calcium (hypercalcemia), which can cause overcalcification of the bones, soft tissues, and kidneys. It can also damage the kidney and produce kidney stones. Vitamin E can act as an anticoagulant and may increase the risk of bleeding problems.Hypervitaminosis A occurs when the maximum limit for liver stores of retinoids is exceeded and the result is nausea and vomiting, headache, dizziness, blurred vision, and loss of muscular coordination.High doses of mineral supplements can also lead to side effects and toxicity. Mineral-supplement poisoning does occur occasionally due to excessive and unusual intake of iron-containing supplements, including some multivitamins, but is not common.

64 mths ago

yes you can, it can make you feel really sick

64 mths ago

the way I understand it is that your body will merely reject the vitamines it can not use and you will get rid of it with your next visit to the ladies/gents room

64 mths ago

Yes I think you can but dosage is very important. Check with your doctor.....

64 mths ago

Vitamin A can definitely be dangerous for your liver. I am not too sure about Vit E or any others.

64 mths ago

Ask your pharmacist, they usually know and are very helpful when it comes to what to take and the contents of medicines / drugs (legal ones!)

64 mths ago

Yes, of course. But they are quite safe in comparison to many other stronger drugs. However, whatever tabs u r continuously taking over a quite stretched period of time, the best consultant is ur GP (or other medical expert). Good luck!!

Source: Self Experience

64 mths ago

Dear Woofie, It is now way ..waaaayyy past midnight, so I will let my fangs out first and then be serious. No, you cant overdose as long as it is bob martins tablets and your nose remains wet, and your coat nice and shiney, then you should be ok. LOL ;->. I agree with unquite plus add the following:- Why are you taking supplements? Sport illness general health? How old are u, weight? What do you do (Sport?) and which supplements do you take? The supplements indicate the average daily percentage of the vitamin mineral supplied in the supplement. Requirements are based on average age activity etc. I do cycling (keen enthusiast) and thus take a larger number of vitamin tablets than the norm, without any side effects to date (apart from the hair and fangs thing after 24h00 ;-). Some doctors say that taking supplements is just creating very expensive urine. Moderation as with all things should keep you well and in good shape.

Source: Medicine chest

64 mths ago

I agree with Unquiet and Leostargazer. Isn't it amazing how things changed. When friends and I were into vitamins 38 years ago, people thought we were crazy and weird (and some even thought we worshipped the devil!!). Today, no-one goes without vitamins. Strange world.

64 mths ago

Best is to visit a homeopath to first see what kind of vitamin / mineral deficiencies you have and then take supplements to get rid of the deficiencies.

64 mths ago

Personal opinion is that you should only take supplements when your body needs them as oposed to a matter of routine. I only take Vitamin C when I feel a cold coming on and Cal-C-Vita when I need a boost of energy. On occasion I take iron supplements when I get aneamic due to unwise nutrition choices. If you eat a healthy diet, you get all your vitamins & minerals from your food - maybe not in the scientific proportions but unless you go on a 30 day Macdonald's binge this usually balances itself out over a week. I believe very strongly - again personal opinion - that the whole vitamin supplement industry is a huge money making scheme. What did people do before Vitamin C was compacted into a little orange tablet? They drank fresh orange juice every day.

64 mths ago

Yes, it is possible to overdose on vitamins, but not just by taking tablets, if you take too mush fruits or vegetables, you can get overdose. There was a case a year ago about a pregnant woman that went on a carrot diet, she overdosed on Vitamin A, and it did irreversible damage to her baby. Her child has brain damage. You can also go blind from drinking too mush water.

64 mths ago

Yes, I've never understood why people take suplements when it is possible to get all the vitamens and minerals from the food you eat.

64 mths ago

HAHA!! OD on vitamins, then I must be dead from supplements!!! No way!! I really do not believe it!!!

64 mths ago

Yes you can if you take too much. Someone just told me over the weekend actually that he and his sister had their stomachs pumped because of a vitamin overdose when they much younger. It was the kiddies’ kind so they were eating it like sweets.

64 mths ago

yes u can but not in the death way, maybe in the long term but not instant.

64 mths ago

Maybe on E ....

64 mths ago

Answer more Questions in General - Health

Browse more Questions in General - Health

Vote for more Answers in General - Health