Ancestry24 Careers24 Entertainment Fin24 Food24 Health24 Kalahari.net Mobile News24 Property24 Weather24 Wheels24 Women24 Sport24
Answerit

Resolved Question

breadboard cleaner?

How do I clean the black (mould?) off my plastic breadboard? I have tried jik, handy andy and I've tried bicarb and vinegar.......what else?

I think its just a 'summer-in-kzn' thing....so much of humid....eish! Good idea to get a glass one, or maybe I'll try one of those marble ones (depending on the price of course)
66 mths ago

Best Answer

Wood cutting boards are better than plastic. Firstly, wood cutting boards do not blunt knives. Secondly, and most importantly, wood is more hygienic than plastic. Studies have shown that bacteria do not care for wood. When deposited on several kinds of wood and left alone, food poison contaminants E. Coli, Listeria, and Salmonella, disappeared (99.9% gone!) over time. Plastic doesn't seem to have this antibacterial effect. It was discovered that it is easier to recover live bacteria from a plastic cutting board than from one made of wood. This because through the capillary action of dry wood, germs quickly disappear beneath the surface of the board, leaving the exposed area free of microbes. In contrast, bacteria sit on the hard plastic cutting board surface, ready to attack the next food item. Also, hand scrubbing with hot water and soap can clear microbes from the surface of new or used wooden cutting boards and new plastic ones, but knife-scared plastic boards are resistant to decontamination by hand washing.

66 mths ago

Answers -

How did you get mould on your breadboard?

66 mths ago

no, its time to throw it away now! I am sure you know that these type of boards harbour all kind of nasties. Chuck it and when you go shopping tomorrow avi, buy a new one! ;0)

66 mths ago

I dont have mould on my mind, but it is a bit yucky having a plastic one, I'm now looking for a good glass one, I had one but my mother "placed it under new management"

66 mths ago

Try use a glass breadboard-then you dont have to worry about things like that. When you cut on the plastic it creates grooves-perfect place for germs and in your case maybe mould.

66 mths ago

I would definetly throw it away and invest in a glass one.

66 mths ago

I agree with those who've suggested that you rather chuck it away. But I am intrigued as to how it got mould on it in the first place? You may have to rethink where you're storing it when not in use... is it in a damp cupboard - perhaps under the sink? Whatever you decide to do - I'd suggest you "Jik" out the cupboard (or wherever) as well! [PS: I think "Mr. Muscle" makes a mould cleaner for showers - maybe try that?]

66 mths ago

I would throw it out . I bought a glass one - R50 , have not looked back !! It does not scratch and is really easy to keep clean !

66 mths ago

Cut your losses and buy a nice new one!

66 mths ago

Forget the cleaning, you are due for a new wooden/glass one.

66 mths ago

It is always difficult to keep anything in plastic clean; it gets mouldy, sticky and smelly. Rather avoid plastic especially in hot areas.

66 mths ago

Answer more Questions in Housework

Browse more Questions in Housework

Vote for more Answers in Housework